We all look forward to a break, when we can relax, engage our interests, socialise and explore new places – holidays are, after-all, a part of ‘ordinary life’. But did you know that your NDIS plan can fund the support you’ll need to travel or go on holiday?
The NDIS can provide funding for the ‘reasonable and necessary’ supports you require during your trip, things like a direct support professional, hire of a disability vehicle and disability equipment, a surcharge for accommodation fitted with disability supports and Auslan interpretation services. NDIS funding does not cover the cost of flights/travel, hotels, food, entertainment and spending money.
If going on holiday is one of your future goals, you can request for it to be added to your NDIS plan at your next plan review meeting. If you have Support Coordination in your plan, your Support Coordinator will assist you to arrange supports and/or source a holiday that aligns with your goals and offers good value.
Some examples of supported travel and holidays include:
- Going on holiday with your family or attending a family event, e.g. a wedding
- Travelling to and attending a work conference, concert or sporting event
- Going on a personalised or package holiday
- Going on a group holiday
Support to go on holiday can align with the following support categories in your plan:
- Core Support – Community & Social Participation
- Core Support - Assistance with Daily Life
- Group-based community, social and recreational activities
- Assistance with travel and transport
If you'd like to know more about support to go on holiday, Unisson can help. Contact us and we’ll arrange for one of our friendly and experienced staff to speak to you (either on the phone or face-to-face, at a time and location to suit you) to discuss your needs and how we can best support you.