Short-term Accommodation & Assistance (STA/Respite)
Short-term accommodation and assistance (STA) is an NDIS support previously known as respite.
Our STA service supports people with disability to have a short stay away from their usual home, while providing planned respite for families caring for a person with disability. Our service is flexible and designed to be responsive to each family’s circumstances.
Whether you choose to tap into our STA service for a few hours a week or use your STA funding to plan for a holiday, we can arrange for our trained staff to come to you, to support you at home* or you may prefer to plan a break at our holiday cottage. No matter the plan, our goal is to be available for you.
In Your Home
Our in-home accommodation service can provide planned respite for you or a family member caring for a person with disability.
A representative from Unisson Disability will visit your family to discuss and plan how our STA service can be most beneficial. Some families may choose to tap into this respite for just a few hours per week while others may choose to use their hours to enable them to have a holiday. Our in-home packages are flexible and responsive to each family’s circumstances.
What we offer:
- Supportive staff who will respond to your family’s needs.
- Planned, time-limited breaks for families and carers.
- Purposeful, individualised, culturally and age-appropriate experiences.
- In-home or community access that is carefully planned and discussed to suit each person’s needs.
- A service that’s designed to enhance quality of life, strengthen and maintain the primary care relationship.
A break or change in routine is important for the wellbeing of families and there’s no reason why it can’t be fun for you if you’re the person attending STA.
Our Hornsby cottage provides a supportive and happy environment where you can try new things, make new friends and learn new skills. Our prime location makes our cottage the perfect gateway to Sydney adventures where you will have the chance to visit new places, try new activities, meet new people and be part of the local community.
Prior to your stay, we’ll work with you and your person of choice to plan activities and experiences that you’ll enjoy and that meet your needs and preferences. Our staff will also make sure your support needs are met, this could include:
- Meal planning and cooking.
- Personal care.
- Take medication.
- Attending appointments or day programs.
Our Hornsby Cottage features:
- Four fully furnished bedrooms, two with en-suites.
- High-care facilities.
- One bedroom, newly renovated self-contained unit with accessible en-suite, kitchen and lounge space.
- Homely and comfortable shared lounge room, dining room and large kitchen.
- Fun and interactive games room.
- Large backyard with accessible ramps and BBQ.
- All meals included (all dietary requirements catered for).
- Quality care, 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Fun incursions and excursions.
- Over 18s only.
Is short-term accommodation covered under the NDIS?
Yes, your NDIS Plan will usually fund up to 28-days of short-term accommodation per year depending on your package. It covers the cost of your care for up to 14 days at a time.
There are three levels of respite-like supports available for funding as part of plans:
- Level 1: 7 to 14 days per year to allow the carer to attend key activities.
- Level 2: 14 to 28 days per year and includes a strategy to build capabilities for future independence.
- Level 3: Equivalent of 28 days per year, when the carer provides support most days and informal support is at risk of not continuing due to the intensity of the support require or severe behavioural issues.
Am I still able to attend day programs or work if I am in short-term accommodation?
Yes, prior to your stay we sit down with you to understand your needs and ensure transportation to your day programs or work is organised during your stay.
Do I need to supply food during my stay?
No, all meals are provided during your stay. If you do have dietary requirements, we will make sure these requirements are catered for.
Am I able to choose destinations to visit during my stay?
Yes, we encourage you to share the types of trips and activities you would like to participant in during your stay. We understand clients who don’t live near Sydney are interested in exploring Sydney destinations - luckily our Hornsby cottage is the gateway to Sydney Adventurers. Check out Unisson’s Your Journey, Your Choice brochure to get a good understanding of the destinations you would like to visit prior to your stay.
Please note, we do need to know the type of trips you would like to participate in before your stay so we can organise appropriate transportation and support staff ratios.
What if I need longer term accommodation?
If you require longer term accommodation, our Supported Independent Living (SIL) options can meet your needs.
Visit our SIL page to learn more.
Supported Independent Living (SIL)
Living in shared accommodation provides opportunities for great support and companionship.
We’ll work with you, your family, and your support network to plan the right type and amount of support.