What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is an NDIS support also known as shared living accommodation.

SIL is where a person with disability will live with other people and share common household areas. Through Unisson’s person-centred active support approach, we support your choices and ensure that assistance is available when needed for daily tasks such as cleaning, cooking, and personal care within your supported home.

Click on the link below to download our easy read document, explaining what SIL means.

Download Easy Read Document

View Our SIL

View Now

How can Unisson Support you?

Living in shared accommodation provides opportunities for great support and companionship and to be part of your local community. The shared living accommodation we offer is flexible and can adapt as your needs change. Together, we’ll work with you through every step, as you progress towards your new shared living arrangement, and ensure your home reflects who you are with the support you need.


Before moving into your new home, we get to know what is important to you. Some of the things to think about include:

  • Where will your home be?
  • Who will you live with?
  • How can we best work alongside you to prepare you for the move?
  • Together we will agree on an overall plan that works for everyone.


There are many practical things to think about during this stage, and we want to make sure this is an enjoyable experience. Some things we consider and plan together include:

  • What kind of staff are you looking for?
  • What skills and shared interests would you like them to have?
  • What equipment do you need?
  • What furniture needs to be purchased?


Once you’ve moved in, our time is spent getting to know you even better. Once we’ve met your goals for living arrangements, we want to understand more about what you need and want to be able to live your best life. We will continue to review, discuss and check-in with you and your support networks.

Contact Us Today

Newsletter Signup

6 West Street,
PO Box 474,

P: 1300 266 222 F: (02) 9496 8701 E: hello@unisson.org.au
ABN 28 613 272 772 ACN 613 272 772 NDIS Provider number: 14707640

Do you have a general enquiry?

General Enquiries

Supported Independent Living FAQ's

What type of properties does Unisson offer?

Our shared living accommodation consists of single-story homes with 3 - 4 bedrooms. Some of our shared living accommodation also includes separate self-contained units.

Who will I be living with?

Before you sign any agreement with Unisson, we will conduct a number of compatibility assessments. The purpose of these assessments is to explore similar interests and your compatibility with the housemates who currently live there.

To assess your compatibility, we will conduct four, in-person compatibility visits, plus a sleepover. The visits include a face-to-face meeting with our Client Engagement team, in-person visits with your potential housemates, and a trial sleepover. The importance of our compatibility assessment is to make sure everyone living in the same shared home, gets along. At Unisson, we match housemates based on compatibility, behaviours, shared hobbies, and similar interests.

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is not in my plan. How do I get it included in my NDIS plan?

If you have experienced a significant change in your life, your current NDIS plan may no longer meet your needs and supports. This includes moving out of home and into your own supported independent living arrangement.

If your current NDIS plan no longer suits your support needs, you will need to notify the NDIA of your change in circumstances. To do this you will need to complete and submit a change of circumstances form. If you require an urgent change of circumstances, you can call the NDIA directly on 1800 800 110.

Once you have submitted a Change of Circumstances Form, the NDIA may decide a formal plan review is needed. Unisson’s Support Coordination professionals can support you through this process to ensure you are getting the most out of your NDIS plan.

What will SIL cost me?

The NDIS only funds support costs, not housing costs.

Supported Independent Living is funded under Core Supports – Assistance with Daily Life in your NDIS plan.

A percentage of your pension will contribute to board, lodging and rent – 100% of your rent assistance will contribute towards the rent.

For participants who do not qualify for a disability pension, we recommend speaking with your Supported Independent Living provider.

For more information about funding, please refer to the NDIS price guide on our website.